The Q&A Archives: Companion Plants With Verbena (brazilian)

Question: I am interested in knowing if Verbena (Brazilian) does well in container planting and how long it will bloom for. Also, what plants would be good companions in the container.

Answer: In my experience the Verbena bonariensis blooms from midsummer until frost in the garden. However, its height and habit might be a bit difficult to work with in a container because it is very upright, with tall (three feet and more), wiry bare stems topped by tiny blooms. In a large container such as a half barrel, it might look good with some midheight plants such as "Profusion" zinnias and or boldly colored dahlias. Another interesting combination could be made with large marigolds. You might also add a trailing plant such as the ornamental sweet potato for a very tropical look.