The Q&A Archives: Searching for Seed of Ramon F1 (Mundial) Melon

Question: I have a farmer friend who requires considerable quantities of the seed of a melon that is having great success on the Italian market. He is quite sure that its name is "Ramon F1" but the melon is also sometimes sold with the common name "Mundial." It is essentially a type of cantaloupe melon whose outer rind surface is distinguished by oddly angled, crisscrossing lines that resemble a fishnet pattern. In fact for this reason it is also called the netted melon (in Italian) by some people. Another of its distinguishing features is a large, conspicuous, protruding button, about an inch in diameter, in the center of the rind's bottom, where it sits on the ground. Another of its distinguishing features: The seed hollow at the core of the melon, typical of the cantaloupe, is noticeably smaller than that of the normal cantaloupe melon. Do you carry this melon or do you know of someone who does? If not then do you have another cantaloupe variety that is very similar? Thank you sincerely. Robert Edrington

Answer: I'm not familiar with the 'Ramon' variety of cantaloupe. However, the following company specializes in melons and perhaps they known about it. Willhite Seed Co. P.O. Box 23 Poolville, TX 76487 800-828-1840