The Q&A Archives: Drimys Lanceolata

Question: I recently encountered a drymis lanceolata at our annual garden show. The person providing information indicated it was an evergreen in the rhody family...but I'm having trouble getting more information. Can you help? Thanks, Lynn

Answer: Drimys lanceolata, or Winter's Bark, is native to southern Chile and Argentina and a member of the Winteraceae family. It's a small evergreen tree (or shrub). Stems and branches tend to droop gracefully and are mahogany red with aromatic bark. Leaces are bright green, leathery and fragrant. Small clusters of jasmine-scented creamy white flowers appear in winter and spring. Grows best in mild-winter climates and part-sun to mostly shady sites. Requires well draining soil.