The Q&A Archives: Growing Himalayan Impatients

Question: I recieved seeds from a Himalayan Impatient plant and I was told they were very tempermental to start to grow.I fell in love with them on first sight, but can't find any information on them. Can you help me?

Answer: Impatiens glandulifera is commonly called Policeman's Helmet or Himalayan impatiens. The plants will grow 3'-8' tall with an equal width. The leaves are narrow and sharply toothed, the flowers are white, pink, rose, and purple.

Sow seeds indoors 8-10 weeks before last frost, or outdoors after soil warms in the spring. Sow just on the surface of soil. Seeds will take 7-30 days to germinate when kept at 70F-75F. Impatiens seeds require light, high humidity and warmth to germinate, but are also quite susceptible to the fungal disease 'damping-off'. You can avoid these problems by watering from the bottom of the tray and providing good air circulation around the seedlings.