The Q&A Archives: Fast Growing Evergreen Trees

Question: One home is a corner plot and the side faces a busy main road, I am looking for a evergreen tree which is fast growing that will help reduce the noise, dust pollution, and provide some privacy. I really appreciate your help!

Answer: Trees will provide some shelter from noise and pollution, but won't offer much privacy. How about evergreen shrubs instead? Glossy abelia, bottlebrush (Callistemon), and photinia are all reasonably fast-growing (especially if pruned annually to encourage new growth), and all will afford the privacy you want. If you prefer trees, trident maple (Acer buergeranum), hedge maple (Acer campestre), hawthorn (Crataegus) or bald cypress (Taxodium distichum) are all recommended for growing in tough situations, including poor soil, pollution, and droughty conditions.