The Q&A Archives: When To Dogwoods Bloom In My Area?

Question: I am interested in using dogwood for my late May wedding. Will it still be in bloom in my area of west-central Pennsylvania?

Answer: Unfortunately I am not located close enough to you to know which weeks they are usually in bloom in your locale. I suspect they will have finished blooming by then, however, since they bloom relatively early in the season. You might want to check with your county extension (226-4956) and see if they can give you a more precise estimation. Do keep in mind however that there can be quite a variance in bloom times from year to year and that blooms can be delayed or damaged by unseasonable cold weather or freak frosts. Since it is a wedding, you may not want to rely on the whims of nature for your decorations.