The Q&A Archives: Controlling Aphids on Seedlngs

Question: I have a small (12 x 8) greenhouse set up in our basement with tons of small herbs, vegetables, and annuals which are very close to transplant size growing in flats. The bad news is....I did a really dumb thing and introduced potted herbs to the environment for a short couple of days. (we had some frost still and I was afraid to plant the herbs outside, and I don't have any good sunny windows in which to place them.) Anyway, yesterday I noticed aphids all over my pepper and eggplant starts. Aaaaaargh! I know that I can use insecticidal soap outside in the garden to eradicate aphids, but can I use it in a small enclosed area such as my greenhouse? I also read on the "Earth Concern" brand label that it is not recommended for transplants. I have been squooshing the aphids on the plants hoping that the "dead bug" juice will discourage the others, but it doesn't seem to be working. Is there something I can use on tender young plants? Julie Noble Homer, OH

Answer: It's hard to see your baby plants covered with aphids, I know! Neem-Away Insect Spray, sold by Gardens Alive, is recommended for use on tender transplants. It's a wide-spectrum insecticide and repellent, yet spares most beneficial insects. You can contact Gardens Alive by calling 812-537-8650, or write 5100 Schenely Pl., Lawrenceburg, IN 47025. Hope this helps!