The Q&A Archives: Controlling Dandelions in Lawn

Question: You have given great advice in the past, and I wished to pick your brain again. I have so many dandelions in my yard, it seems to be the only thing there sometimes. I have pulled them by hand, sprayed with "weed be gone" and a broad leaf weed killer by "Fertilome". But thus far the unwanted dandelions are winning. I have eliminated alot by digging by hand, and the lawn is filling in, but I understand that they cannnot be "crowded" out by a thick lawn. I also have many other broad leaf weeds that no one seems to be able to identify, but is slowly taking over on all fronts, is there help at this point? Any help would be great! Robin Breaux Albuquerque, NM

Answer: It does take persistence to combat dandelions. Attack when they are weak, which means weeding with a vengeance during their flowering stage, removing as much of the root as possible. Mow and remove the clippings if they do go to seed to prevent reseeding. A healthy lawn is a deterrent to dandelions because they prefer thin turf. Also, mowing with the blade set high will allow the grass to shade the low-growing weeds and slow the germination of weed seeds.