The Q&A Archives: Wilting Leaves on Orchids

Question: I have 2 beautiful orchid plants. The leaves are turning yellow and falling off. What should I do?

Answer: These symptoms may indicate hot, stuffy conditions or insufficient light. Orchids like daytime temperatures around 70F during the summer and 60F during the winter, with a 10 degree drop at night. Cool nights are important to the health and flowering ability of your plant. Orchids require 10-15 hours of light each day, so you may need to supplement natural light with artificial light during the winter months when the days are short. Orchids like moisture and humidity, and appreciate being misted once or twice each day. To increase humidity around the plant, place the pot on a layer of rocks in a tray of water. As the water evaporates it will provide moist, humid conditions around your plant. Try adjusting the growing environment and your orchid should recover.