The Q&A Archives: A Nasty Rat

Question: I have a small garden that I have tried to make comfortable for critters: such as hummingbirds, all sorts of little birds and a few squarrels. A rat has found a home in my yard which really bothers me. I want to get rid of it without hurting the other animals. I am afraid if I do not address this rat now, I will have many rats to deal with later. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for any suggestions.

Answer: Where food is available, rats and mice will find it! They really like bird seed, corn and bread - all the things you're probably feeding the wildlife. If the infestation is severe, you might wish to contact a pest control professional as rodents can carry some serious diseases. Many gardeners report that a household pet such as a dog or cat can serve as an effective deterrent to many small animal pests, and some report success using repellant sprays. Your County Extension (323-838-8330) might also be able to offer some advice, especially if rats are particularly prevalent in your local area.