The Q&A Archives: Dividing Coreopsis Flying Saucer

Question: I have 2 coreopsis, both are flying saucer type. I planted one on the front yard and the other in the container. Years before, both coreopsis grew so nicely. But starting last year, the one on the frontyard died. The one in the container started to get smaller, eventhough years before was big and nice. What happened? I read a magazine that you need to divide the root once a while?? How do I do divide the root?
I appreciate your help. Thank you

Answer: Coreopsis is a versatile, carefree plant, performing best in full sun, planted in rich, well-draining soil. If you remove spent blooms along with the stems your coreopsis will renew itself and bloom even more. Excessive fertilizing will decrease flowering so feed only lightly. Perennial coreopsis can be divided in the spring or in the autumn by cutting through the root mass, making sure that each root division has some foliage attached. Replant in amended soil and water regularly during the growing season.