The Q&A Archives: Growing Raspberries In Hot Desert

Question: I live 50 miles west of Phoenix, our elevation is less than 1,000 ft. I have planted blackberries and raspberries in tubs. Our temperatures here are usually 10 degrees colder
or hotter in winter/summer. How do I keep the berries cool in 110-115 summers? We do have winters here with temperatures in 20s and 30s. I have the plants on the
eastside of house.

Answer: Raspberries don't thrive in the low desert and aren't usually recommended, but as long as you have them planted you might as well give them a try! However, blackberries will grow here, and they take full sun. You don't have to worry about keeping them cool. They might benefit from afternoon shade, but they still need at least 6-8 hours per day of full sun. If you have them in an eastern exposure next to the house, they will probably receive some afternoon shade. 'Rosborough' and 'Womack' did well in a study conducted at the Yuma Agriculture Center. 'Brison' and 'Brazos' are two other varieties that are often available and will also grow here.