The Q&A Archives: Tulips that Bloom Only Once

Question: I was surprised to see in the answer to a question that Darwin and Triumph tulips only bloom once. Is this really true that they do not come back year after year? I have some Triumph tulips which have come back, though not as hearty as before. What kind of tulip should I buy that will come back year after year? Thanks. Lyn Dwelley Baltimore, MD

Answer: I don't remember the original question, but what I think was meant from "tulips only bloom once" is that they only bloom once during that growing season. They, of course, are perennials in most areas of the country and if taken proper care of, will bloom each spring for many years. The species tulips such as Tulipa tarda, are even hardier than the common tulips, easy to naturalize and require less care as far as digging up replanting every 3-4 years. I hope this clears up the confusion!