The Q&A Archives: Problem With Bees/wasps/hornets

Question: It is only the beginning of March and we are already having a problem with bees/wasps/and hornets. We had hundreds around our house last summer. We have a flowering tree out front that is the only one on the block to already have blooms---I think that is why they are already here. But I have 3 big flowering bushes out back also. Is there anything I can spray on these bushes/trees to get rid of the bees? I've heard of hornet traps but I was told there are like 35 different types of bees/wasps ect.. that it wouldn't attract all of them. They really wouldn't bother me but they attack anything that goes around these bushes and they are always trying to get into the house. Is there anything that I can do to get rid of them????
Thanks Karen

Answer: It's true that bees, wasps, and hornets can seem like nuisances in the garden but they are such beneficial insects, that it's difficult to recommend a control. They all pollinate flowers. Wasps and hornets are excellent pest predators, diving into foliage to carry off flies, caterpillars and other larvae to feed their young. Bees are usually just temporary visitors to the garden, arriving in the morning to collect nectar and pollen and leaving by late afternoon. Wasps and hornets can live underground or build paper nests. Thoroughly inspect the trees and bushes (and under the eaves) to see if there are any nests. If so, remove and destroy them and the insects will take up residence elsewhere. If you decide to use traps, place them well away from doors and windows to lure the insects into another part of the garden.