The Q&A Archives: Identifying Viney Groundcover

Question: Our neighbors said that the viney stuff with purple flowers growing in our lawn and near flower beds is an "undesireable" called "creeping charlie." I think it's pretty, and it stays so low to the ground. We have a large window well with stones as aretaining wall. Can I safely transplant some of the creeping charlie between the stones? (It spreads very quickly and seems like it has a great root system for holding the dirt under the stones back. Joyce Borland DeForest, WI

Answer: The plant you describe, while not technically creeping Charlie, has a growth habit that sounds conducive to transplanting by your window well. Other choices would be creeping phlox (Phlox subulata) and creeping sedum (Sedum sarmentosum) which bloom in the spring. The annual portulaca would also do well, and it flowers all summer.