The Q&A Archives: Growing Hosta And Sikokianum From Seed

Question: I am an experienced gardener and have been staring seds under light for over 30 years. Thismyear I am trying two new plants from seed, Hostaa and Arisema Sikokianum. Any guidance you could give me would be appreciated.

Answer: According to the Thompson & Morgan Successful Seed Raising Guide, hosta seeds can be placed in a plastic bag with some barely damp soilless mix or peat moss and kept in the refrigerator for several weeks to provide a cool stratification period prior to planting (or they can be planted outside in the fall). Check them periodically for swelling or signs of sprouting. After planting in a moist yet well drained mix, the seeds germinate at a cool soil temperature (55 to 60 degrees), and may take 30 to 90 days.

According to the above, general instructions for Arisaema indicate the seeds may take between 30-180 days to germinate, also at a cool temperature of 55 to 60 degrees. The seeds require light to germinate and should be planted lightly in a well drained mix.

You might also find the following article by Tony Avent of interest as he addresses your plant:

Arisaema, Arisaema, Arisaema(Cobra Lily, Jack in the Pulpit) at and may also want to look into information available through the International Aroid Society at since your seeds are from Japan rather than the typical wildflower.

Good luck with your seeds!