The Q&A Archives: Pansies

Question: I planted Pansies as a border in my flower bed last fall. They survived snow and ice and are still blooming very well (early March). Can I leave these same plants and expect them to continue growing and blooming this spring and summer or should I remove them and start fresh. Thank you for your advice. Sincerely, Colleen

Answer: I always consider it a bonus when pansies survive the winter and continue to bloom inspite of the odds! Since you planted them in the fall, they're probably winter pansies. These little guys (and gals) do best in cool temperatures. Pinch them back to encourage additional bloom and to keep the plants compact. As weather warms in spring they'll slow and eventually stop blooming. As they begin to yellow and die away replace them with new summer-blooming plants.