The Q&A Archives: Effect of pH on Tomatoes

Question: Does the pH of the soil effect the growth of tomato plants? It is possible to grow them in the winter inside? If so where can I buy some?

Answer: Yes, pH does affect the growth of all plants, including tomatoes. One of the ways pH affects plant growth is that some plant nutrients become unavailable above or below a certain pH; in other words, the nutrient becomes bound up in complex molecules--a form that plants can't take in. For example, at a high pH, iron becomes unavailable to most plants; at a low pH, calcium is bound up. Most garden plants, including tomatoes, prefer a pH of around 6.5.<br><br>You can grow tomatoes indoors, provided you can give them the conditions they need: high light levels, warm temperatures, and adequate water and nutrients. It's possible to get tomatoes to fruit under fluorescent lights--but don't expect a huge harvest. <br><br>It will be difficult to find tomato seedlings this time of year; why not grow your own? That way, you can choose your variety--I suggest you try one like 'Tumbler' which is bred for container-growing.