The Q&A Archives: Growing Jasmine In Container

Question: I would like to grow Jasmine in a large pot. What kind of potting soil do I need? What is the culture of jasmines? Lots of water, little water, lots of sun, little sun, etc.? Can I got this pot inside? How often would I need to repot it? What kind of fertilizer should I use and how often? I think I have an Arabian Jasmine.

Potted Jasmine likes bright, indirect light in summer. Preferred temperatures are around 70 in daytime to no less than 60 at night. Frequent misting will provide the humidity it craves. Use regular potting soil and keep soil evenly moist, without letting it dry out or get soggy. These extremes cause the buds to drop, and with a scent like jasmine, you don't want to lose a single bloom! As for fertilizer, you can apply a blooming houseplant food as directed on the label, year round. You'll probably have to repot only every 3-5 years. Jasmine can be grown indoors but pay special attention to temperature, light and humidity needs or it will show its dissatisfaction by dropping leaves. Good luck with your jasmine.