The Q&A Archives: Growing Well By Sharing The Same Soil

Question: I know that pansies are great fall/winter plants. What can I plant in the spring/summer in the same area that will help all these flowers/plantslive well together whether they are in season or awaiting their turn? ...any other tips to help them along?

Answer: Most pansies really suffer during the summer heat and so many gardeners simply treat them as fall-planted annuals, enjoying them through fall and spring and then ripping them out. You could try following them with any fast growing summer annual either from seeds or transplants, or even with annual bulbs such as gladiolas, or perhaps with a perennial such as regal lilies; these would come up and bloom in mid summer and would not mind the shallow rooted pansies among them.