The Q&A Archives: Seeds for School Experiment

Question: I want to do a science experiment using bean (or any) seeds. Where can I find some this time of year? The garden shops and nurseries that I I checked don't have any.<br>

Answer: You can order seed from Burpee; call their order department at 1-800-888-1447 to request their catalog. (If you're in a hurry, they may be able to look up the product for you and let you order right away.)<br><br>Or try a health food store. They selllots of seed in bulk--for example, alfalfa and mung bean seeds for sprouting, whole wheat berries, various beans like kidney, lima, etc. Check with a knowledgeable person at the store to be sure the seeds you choose haven't been treated in a way thatwill inhibit their growth--for example, bulgur wheat is made from cracked wheat treated with steam, so it won't grow, but whole wheat berries should grow fine.<br><br>Even your supermarket should have some seeds for you--how about a bag of black-eyed peas? Or seeds from a tomato (though they need special treatment to get them to sprout--submit another question if you'd like further info), or sunflower seeds from your bird feeder. There are seeds all around you!