The Q&A Archives: Disappointing Lavender Seedlings

Question: Why are my lavender seedlings looking so pathetic? I used Sun-gro potting medium in a humid starter tray under
an 8-hour photoperiod regimen.So far I have obtained only about 10 straggly-looking seedlings most of which are
unable to stand up for themselves.(1inch) Any suggestions appreciated!

Answer: Lavender is more difficult to germinate from seed than many other herbs, so your success should be congratulated! Germination rates range from poor to uneven, over a period of a month or two. Additionally, seeds are usually sown outdoors in autumn, because they need cold stratification prior to germination. Now that your seedlings are up and growing, provide 12-14 hours of light each day, keeping fluorescent bulbs only 2"-4" above the tops of the plants. This additional light will help your seedlings develop into robust little plants.