The Q&A Archives: Peace Lily Care

Question: Hi there - I have a peace lily that I've had for 9 years now. It used to grow like a weed, but then it stopped sprouting the white flowers, and ulitmately stopped growing all together. I split the plant in half and re-potted them both, but they never really seemed to come back to life. Eventually, one of them died, and the last one is on its last leg. I really would like to bring the plant back to life, but I don't know what to do for it. Can you give me some suggestions?

Answer: Since you had the plant for 9 years, it would seem you took very good care of it during that time. I would have expected the dividing and repotting to rejuvenate the plant, because sometimes they do slow down with age. You might take a look and see if the roots have moved out into the new soil, or not. Sometimes, if the soil is very different from the original soil or if the roots are tightly wound in a circle, they will not grow beyond the original soil. If this is the case, you might try repotting it again, using a soil very similar to the original and making sure to direct the roots outward into it. If that is not the case, you might try using a fertilizer with micronutrients or "minors" in it as well as the main three (N-P-K). Finally, make sure there is no other change in the environment such as adding a water softener, a new heat or ventilation pattern, or similar adjustment that might not be obvious. Sometimes, too, these plants are subject to disease or bacterial infection some of which can attack through the roots. You might want to take the plant to the county extension and see if they can diagnose anything more specific. I'm sorry about your plant and I hope this helps you trouble shoot.