The Q&A Archives: Flowering Herbs

Question: I have a black rot iron kettle that I would love to plant an herb garden in. I know it would be hard to keep perenials in over the winter but I was hoping to try a few things I 've read about in the library here. My question is I need low growing plants with flowers around the edge. I would like to put lemon balm in the middle and lavender lady around that. I'm at a loss for the what to use around the edge. Any suggestions would be si helpful.

Answer: Creeping thyme would eventually trail gracefully over the edge and withstand the heat reflecting off the kettle, but it only blooms for a short time (as do most herbs) so I am not certain it would create the effect you are looking for. You might want to combine some annuals as well.