The Q&A Archives: Perennial/deciduous Moon Vine

Question: For the past three years I have grown the annual moon vine. In commenting to a friend about the slow growth, she suggested I try the perennial variety. Please tell me all you can about this perennial/deciduous vine. It could possibly be a rhizome or tuber. My friend is not a gardener, but knows this plant has the same flower with a smaller leaf. The plant loses its leaves in the winter and comes back fuller and stronger the next season.

Answer: The plant we grow as an annual would actually be a perennial in a warmer climate, so perhaps this is what your friend is thinking of. It can also self seed and seem like a perennial when in fact there are new plants in the same place each year.

It is also possible your friend is simply thinking of a clematis vine. There are many white flowered varieties, however they would not be night blooming like this.

I'm sorry I don't know of an exact duplicate that would be hardy.