The Q&A Archives: Winter Leaf Drop -- Globe Leafed Liquid Ambers

Question: We planted several dozen of your globe leafed liquid ambers (Rotundailoda) approximately six years ago. These trees incrasingly have difficulty shedding their Fall foliage. The dead foliage not only remains in large part through the winter, but -- much more troublesome -- about 25% or more of these leaves never fall even during the spring and summer months. This results in a very unattractive tree. What can we do about this?

Thank you.

Answer: It isn't unusual for liquidamber trees to retain their leaves all winter. Generally they're pushed off the branches in late winter by cold weather, or by emerging new leaves in the spring. It's the nature of the tree and I can't suggest anything to remedy the situation. Wish I had a solution for you!