The Q&A Archives: Tips Of Spider Plant Turning Brown.

Question: I have an indoor spider plant, and lately the tips have all been turning brown. Is this from over-watering or not enough sun?? I usually water once a week and it gets indirect light.

Answer: Spider plants tend to brown at the tips for one or more reasons. Most common is probably moisture stress. As the plant grows it requires more frequent watering because the plant is larger in relation to the pot size. Your plant may need to be repotted into a larger pot or divided and part of it replanted in the same pot if it has grown a great deal.

Winter heating can also cause a very dry atmosphere and the plants suffer from the lack of humidity, especially if located near a heat vent or radiator that sends out a hot draft. Moving the plant away from such heat sources, running a humidifier, grouping plants together or keeping them in a humid area (such as over the kitchen sink, in a bathroom where people shower) can help.

Another common reason is a gradual build up of minerals or salts from fertilizer. This can be leached out periodically by watering the plant to the point of runoff and repeating several times.

Yet another reason can be watering with heavily chlorinated and treated water, or water run through a water softener. I fyou suspect this, you might try using saved rain water or water from another source.

Finally, the tips will not regrow, so they can be trimmed off neatly.

I hope this helps you troubleshoot.