The Q&A Archives: Containerized Tomato Planting

Question: Please recommend a tomato that grows well in a container outdoors. When do I need to start the seed for the Wash., DC area. How big should seedlings be before transplanting
and how warm should it before transplanting (or what low temperature should I stay away from).

Answer: In a relatively small container such as a hanging basket, you could grow a cherry tomato such as "Tumbler"; in a larger container such as a half barrel, you could grow nearly any tomato you like. Seeds are usually started about 8 weeks before the last expected frost date and the transplants are set out about a week after the frost date. Tomatoes need warm soil and will be damaged by frost so protect the plants from cold nights should a late frost occur. Transplants are usually about 8 inches tall or so. To find out your frost date, check with your local radio or tv weather news or a gardener in your neighborhood. Remember though that this is an average and varies from year to year, it also varies from garden to garden depending on microclimate.