The Q&A Archives: Bugs On Nasturtiums

Question: I love nasturiums. Every year that I plant them I get little black bugs on the plants. The plants get quite large and flower, but the bugs eventually weaken and harm the plants so badly that I pull the plants up mid season, I feel so bad that they are getting eaten so.
Any suggestions to not get bugs on my nasturtiums would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Answer: Nasturtiums are sometimes grown as a trap crop for certain pests, so it may not be possible to eliminate the pest problem altogether. If the pest is aphids, you could try squirting them off with a strong spray of water from the garden hose, or you might treat them with insecticidal soap according to the label instructions. You might also check with your county extension (394-3977) for a more specific identification of the pest and any control suggestions they may have.