The Q&A Archives: Mountain Wildflowers

Question: My wife and I live in a high altitude climate in the middle of the Colorado Rockies from May 1 through October. The altitude is a bit less than 10,000 feet. Our lot is primarily lodgepole pine and aspen. The soil is silty sand with some gravel (we are located next to a stream). The ground is mostly covered with pine needles. We let it grow wild! Near the stream, which has a bit more light, we have grasses growing. The lot is not heavily wooded thus providing some light. DO YOU HAVE ANY WILDFLOWER PRODUCTS FOR THIS SCENARIO?

Answer: I think you would find better adapted wildflowers through the following companies that specialize in western regional plants:

Wild Seed, PO Box 27751, Tempe, AZ 85285, 480-276-3526. Wildflower seed is their specialty. Write or call for a free list of availability.

High Country Gardens, They sell transplants.

Plants of the Southwest, They sell wildflower seeds. The last 2 companies put out very useful catalogs with information on plants and growing conditions.