The Q&A Archives: Planting Near Shaded Fence Area

Question: I have a 6-foot cedar fence that runs east and west. I would like to plant annuals or perennials in front of it, but am concerned about the amount of shade and late afternoon sun those plants might receive. I am searching for a flowering annual or perennial that will tolerate approximately 6 hours of shade and 3 hours of late afternoon sun. I tried snapdragons and coneflowers last year with no success. I was thinking of trying marigolds, since I have had much success with them in the past. Can you suggest any other plant that would tolerate these conditions?

Answer: Absolutely!! You could say there are more than you could shake a stick at! You can really afford to be a little choosy, as there are many flowering and non-flowering varieties. Consider the following flowering perennials: Alchemilla (Lady's Mantle), Astilbe (Meadowsweet), Anemone, Aruncus (Goatsbeard), Brunnera (Siberian Bugloss), Campanula (Bellflower), Chrysogonum (Goldenstar), Dicentra (Bleeding Heart), Cimicfuga (Bugbane), Filipendula (Queen of the Prairie), Helleborus (Christmas Rose), Hemerocallis (Day Lily), Heuchera (Coralbells), Siberian Iris, Mertensia (Virginia Bluebells), Polygonatum (Great Solomon's Seal), Primula (Primrose), Trillium Grandiflorum (Wakerobin), Lysimachia (Gooseneck Loosestrife), and Pulmonaria (Lungwort). You can also try many, many varieties of Hosta. Ground covers such as Ajuga, Pachysandra, and European Ginger would also be suitable.