The Q&A Archives: Killer Vinelike Weed

Question: I have a perennial vinelike weed that spreads from runners or stolons below the ground. It's shoots come out of the ground and attach to trees and flowers. The origin seems to be underneath a deck, but I can't be sure. I don't know what it is but it takes over each year killing shrubs and flowers. I pull put the shoots and as much of the root as I can, but it is overwhelming my perennial flower bed. What can I do?

Answer: In some cases repeated cutting and pulling will eventually exhaust the root system, but it sounds like that is not enough to kill this weed off. You might try treating it with an herbicide containing glyphosate, applying it carefully and according to the label instructions. Since this herbicide will kill desirable plants as well, you may want to try a wipe-on application method to avoid accidentally contacting the shrubs and flowers.