The Q&A Archives: Tomatoes For Hanging Baskets

Question: The deer feasted on all of my tomato plants last year. This spring I want to plant them in hanging baskets out of reach of the critters! What varieties of cherry tomatoes will grow well in hanging baskets?

Answer: Tomatoes are more demanding when grown in containers since they have a large root system and need a consistent supply of water. You can ease your watering chores by mixing a moisture-retentive polymer with the potting soil. You may also want to use a pulley system to raise and lower the baskets so you can maintain them easily. Here are several varieties to try:

'Tiny Tim' is an old favorite for hanging baskets with a 15" long stem. But its fruit is tough-skinned and not the best for flavor. 'Cherry Gold' is a golden version of Tiny Tim, but better flavored. 'Red Robin' grows 8-12 inches tall with masses of red 1" fruit. 'Small Fry' is a 1970 AAS winner which is considerably bigger at 40" tall, but it is still recommended for hanging baskets. 'Toy Boy' grows a foot tall with lots of small red fruit.

My suggestion is to grow several of these choices, only one to a basket, and see what suits your taste!