The Q&A Archives: Water Softener

Question: I do alot of indoor gardening and I've noticed some of my plants are suffering from a buildup. I've read that there are some products out there that you can add to your water to soften it. Any ideas where I can find such a product? Or do you have any suggestions for me?

Answer: If you are referring to white, chalky deposits on top of the soil, that is salt build-up from either salts in water (water in the West usually contains alot of salts naturally) or in fertilizer (synthetic fertilizers are made from mineral salts). The best way to deal with that problem is once a month leach the salts away, by putting plants under the faucet or hose and let water slowly and deeply run out the bottom of the pot. Water softeners that I am aware of are actually made from salts as well, so that doesn't help the situation. Some people don't water their plants with softened water because of it. If you have alot of salt build up, scrape it off the top. You might want to repot also, and then be sure to water deeply each time.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by cocoajuno and is called "Here's looking at you."