The Q&A Archives: Care Of Orchids

Question: I've not had any prior success sustaining an orchid plant. I received one the other day and I'd like to know how to keep it healthy and flowering. Thank You

Answer: Orchids are some of the most popular, and rewarding houseplants! There are many, many kinds, each with different requirements, but here are some general care tips for orchids: They like daytime temperatures of about 70F degrees in the summer, 60F in the winter, and a drop of ten degrees at night. Cool nights are important. Give them bright light, 10-15 hours each day. Supplement with artificial light in the winter time. Keep the compost moist, but reduce the frequency of watering during the winter months. Mist the leaves occasionally. Keep them out of drafts and shade them from direct sunshine. Finally, enjoy your new orchid!