The Q&A Archives: Pet(s) Control

Question: What products are recommended to help prevent my dogs from eating my new landscape around my deck? I will be planting trees, monkey grass, shrubs (variety) and pansies.

Thank you very much.

Answer: If you expect your gods to eat the plants, please check with your veterinarian about potential toxicity of the plants you are using and any safety measures you should take.

In addition to chewing on or eating plants, dogs and other pets may dig them up (they love the smell of freshly dug dirt) and may use the area for relieving themselves. Besides being potentially dangerous, this can destroy a planting.

Some gardeners report success using repellents (either commerically formulated or home made based on garlic) while others resort to sturdy fences and even electric fencing or motion activated water sprays. Sometimes, a watchful eye and patient training are sufficient.