The Q&A Archives: Drying Needles On Weeping Norway Spruce

Question: I planted a Weeping Norway Spruce last year, I am noticing that there are some brown spots & drying needles. Could this have something to do with Winter Months?? Should I have watered it during Winter months?? Is there a solution for this problem.

Answer: Unfortunately, it is difficult to tell if there is a problem with your tree, or not. There will be a certain amount of needle drop to shed some of the old needles, but there are also numerous possible problems that could cause needle growth. These trees are very cold hardy, so winter in and of itself should not be a problem for it. However, any newly planted evergreen will potentially suffer from drying out over the winter and should be watered if needed to keep the soil evenly moist but not sopping wet in the fall the first year or two until it is well established. You might want to take a sample (and/or a photo) to your county extension (863-0110) and see if they can diagnose the cause of the needle drop for certain. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.