The Q&A Archives: Roses Mixed With Other Plants

Question: I have limited gardening space which includes some established roses. I would like to plant other plants in the flower bed but have been discouraged from doing so by my spouse. What types of plants would be appropriate to plant with them? I good sunny location protected from the worst of the winds here.

Answer: You could grow nearly any sun-loving perennial or annual as long as they do not inhibit air flow around the roses. The air circulation is important in helping to cut down on potential disease problems.

If these are hybrid teas and you need frequent access to them for intensive spraying or pruning, make sure to allow room for that as well as avoiding any accidental drift onto neighboring plants for which the spray may not be labeled.