The Q&A Archives: Scotch Moss

Question: Hi,
I'm trying to locate seeds for Scotch moss. It's my understanding that this moss is a darker version of Irish moss or sagina subulata. Do you have any suggestions?

Answer: Irish and Scotch Moss aren't really mosses at all, but are so named because of their appearance. They're Sagina subulata and Arenaria verna, and they both make dense, compact, mosslike masses of slender leaves on slender stems. They prefer cool, moist soils, and partial shade. Both Irish and Scotch Moss produce tiny flowers which develop seeds. In fact, they can self-sow to the point where they become pests in the garden. Most gardeners propagate them by cutting little sods or 1"-2" strips from established plantings and replanting them. Between the sodding and the reseeding, the empty spaces fill in rapidly. Unfortunately I am unable to quickly locate a seed source for you.