The Q&A Archives: Planting Soil For Hibiscus

Question: I have purchased a hibiscus tree that I want to container garden in a large pot. I would like to know what is the best type of soil conditions I can provide for it to grow well in a container. Does it need to be acidic or alkaline or will a good potting soil be fine? I also read that a hibiscus likes to be kept humid. I live in Las Vegas where it is very hard to keep the humidity high outdoors during the summer, do you have any suggestions for me in this respect?

Answer: Although hibiscus are sold in the low desert, as a tropical plant they are not ideally suited to our conditions, so our harsh environment can take a toll on them. Hibiscus prefer acid soil conditions, so use a good potting soil, mix in peat moss, and then fertilize with something like Miracid. As for keeping it humid, it's kind of a losing battle here. About the best you can do is group it with other container plants in a location protected from wind and afternoon sun.