The Q&A Archives: Tulip/daffodil Bulbs

Question: I have some tulip and daffodil bulbs that I purchased in October and did not get around to planting. Is there anything that I can do to still utilize these bulbs? I would like to eventually plant them outside. What can I do?

Answer: Unfortunately, March is very late in the season to try planting these bulbs because they need several months of chilling temperatures in order to bloom. You could try planting them in pots (several layers per pot) and chilling them in a refrigerator, just as one would force them for early winter bloom. Once they have chilled and rooted and come into growth, you might be able to plant them outdoors. If the temperatures are too hot by then, however, the flowering will be a disappointment.