The Q&A Archives: Trees For Screening

Question: I live in Los Angeles and would like to plant tree(s) along a fence on the south end of my property. I am considering cypress trees, but I have power lines about 20 feet above and I don't like the kind(s) of cypress trees that grow very tall and wide. Can the Italian cypress be easily topped to stay lower and not grow too wide? Or are there any other types of cypress trees that don't grow over 15-20 feet?

Answer: Italian cypress can eventually grow to 60' so you may want to reconsider! A better choice is Cupressus forbesii, the Tecate cypress. It's native to the Santa Ana Mountains and will grow well in your gardening region. Best of all, it has a mature height of 20'. It's a fast grower and can become top heavy if not trained and pruned while young, but is otherwise maintenance free. Hope this information helps you choose just the right cypress!