The Q&A Archives: Slugs

Question: I had so much rain last year that slugs were all over everything. I tryed the beer the chemicals and the salt.
I was not able to control them.

MY QUESTION IS DO THEY DIE OVER WINTER????? The snow is still here and I wanted to know do they hibernate and come back.
If you know of any more solutions to my problem please let me know.

Thank you so much

Answer: Slugs overwinter in niches and will reappear in early spring along with their progeny. Sometimes disturbing the top inch or so of soil in mid spring can help control them, as can raking back mulch to expose them to birds and other predators. Diatomaceous Earth (horticulture grade, not swimming pool grade) can be sprinkled on the soil surface to help control slugs. Read and follow the label instructions. Also, in my experience, salt is not a good solution because heavy use of it ends up causing salt toxicity problems in your soil.