The Q&A Archives: Care Of Royal Cape Plumbago

Question: Last Summer I bought a Monrovia plant,a rather expensive Royal Cape Plumbago, which was beautiful all Summer. Noting that it is only hardy from zone 9 up I planted it in a rather large pot and brought it inside for the Winter. It is living but a little sorry looking as are most plants which have wintered inside. My question is, do I need to prune it back, or let it grow in order to get the most of the beautiful blooms. What about fertilizing.Thanks!!

Answer: Cape plumbago prefers full sun, so it's not surprising that it is a little "sorry looking." When you move it back outside, it should perk up. Do it gradually, putting it in a protected area for a while and gradually increasing the sun exposure. Since it is in a pot, it will need to be fertilized as it will use up available nutrients. Use something with a higher phosphorus (the middle number) amount to promote bloom, such as 15-30-15. Water well before and after applying. It usually doesn't require much pruning unless there is dead or damaged wood.