The Q&A Archives: Container Planting For Calla Lily

Question: I planted 2 calla lily in larg plastic urns. Will they do well and how would I care for them?

Answer: An eastern exposure that has morning sun and protection from afternoon sun would be best, as they don't do well in our fierce sunlight. Don't water too much until foliage appears. Then they like consistently moist soil, so water regularly. Apply a couple inches of mulch on top of the soil to retain moisture and keep soil temperatures cool. When foliage appears, fertilize every other weeks with an all-purpose fertilizer. After bloom, gradually reduce watering. Let foliage dry out naturally as it is storing nutrients to the rhizome. When new growth starts, then start the watering and feeding again. Good luck!