The Q&A Archives: Frost Dates In USDA Zone 7

Question: As many zone maps as I can find, I can't find any info on frost dates here in zone 7. Can you help me? Thanks

Answer: As a very rough guide, the last frost in spring in your area is usually around mid April, and the first frost in fall in mid October, meaning you've about 180 frost-free days a year. Of course this is average.

For more precise information you might try asking your county extension. Call them at 431-726. Or ask the local newspaper, tv or radio weather reporter, a local garden center, or a gardener in your neighborhood. The latter is probably a better indication of when it will occur in your own garden because microclimate can have a big effect on the date in your own yard as opposed to the average.