The Q&A Archives: Stunted Pepino

Question: My pepino has stopped growing at 1 foot tall. Now the leaves are turning yellow and dropping. Can you please tell me the nature and care of this plant.

Answer: Since pepinos (Solanum muricatum) love sun and warmth, make sure it's in a bright spot. Though they need plenty of moisture because their roots are so shallow and spread out, they also require excellent drainage. It may be that the soil is waterlogged, which will cause the roots to rot and the plant to die. The soil acidity and salt levels might also be out of balance. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful!

Here are complete guidelines for growing pepino:

This document may help guide you to a diagnosis of the problem, but if the plant is losing lots of leaves and fruit, it may be too far gone to recover. I hope you can plant another one.