The Q&A Archives: Colored Climbing Bean And Pea Flowers

Question: Flower color is not usually mentioned on a climbing bean or pea package and I would like to know which Burpee products have other-than-white colored flowers. The hummingbirds are particularly attracted to the bright red flowers of my non-Burpee scarlet runner beans and I'm certain there are other varieties of climbing (prefer edible pod)peas and beans that might offer color in thier flowers, but how do I identify them?

Answer: In my experience, the majority of peas and beans bloom in white and any that deviate from that would be mentioned in a description. You may have to look for the ornamental types of peas and beans, such as perennial sweet peas, as well as other annual vines such as morning glories if you want more color. Many of these are not edible, however.