The Q&A Archives: D.e.c. Wetlands Gardening

Question: What kind of perennials can I use in a very wet field in the back of my home ? The area used to be a cornfield soil is fairly rich with a shale base. Would like to see a wild flower kind of look. Deer are plentiful as are geese, ducks
and egrets want to lose the swampy look make it more visually appealing without disturbing wetlands.Thanks for your help!!

Answer: While there are a number of perennials that would tolerate moisture, the critters present a real challenge. For a wild flower look you might want to wait and see what moves in on its own, as these plants would be well suited to the location. You could also add named varieties of natives such as goldenrod, Joe Pye weed, marsh marigold, perennial hibiscus and perennial lobelia along with Siberian iris, Japanese iris, lady's mantle, astilbe, and possibly monarda along the edges. I would caution you about planting typically invasive plants such as cattails. With a little experimentation you will see what works best for you.