The Q&A Archives: Plastic For Trellis

Question: I have read that you can use plastic webbing for vines to grow on, do you know what size or gauge they are talking about....Thanks

Answer: Garden suppliers often sell synthetic pea netting and this can be used for annual vines; I am not aware of a gauge being applied to it, but it is often made of sturdy nylon string. Alternatively, you could use the heavy duty plastic mesh sometimes used on construction sites or as snow fencing, however it is less attractive. There are also heavy weight ready-made trellis panels made of synthetic materials on the market as well as lumber substitutes made of recycled materials including plastic from which you could build your own. Yet another option is mesh made of galvanized wire, either sold by the roll at the farm and lumber yard or in ready cut panels by suppliers such as Burpee. For heavier perennial vines you will want to use a sturdy and long lasting support. As with anything in gardening, there are so many options!